How can I get a refund on my homeowner's insurance?

Am I able to get a full refund on my homeowner's insurance since I don't own the house anymore? I sold my house and moved out of the state about six months ago. It took awhile for the post office to forward the mail to me and I see that my former insurance company has still been deducting the monthly payments from my account.

“Don’t worry, you can get your insurance payments refunded!
Gather together any documentation showing when you sold the home. Then get in touch with your insurance company and fax or email the documents as proof that you are no longer the homeowner.
Every insurance company is different, so you may be refunded right away or there may be a few days of review time. Either way, the insurance carrier should be sending a full refund back to you.
Keep in mind, anytime time you make life changes, such as a move, it is a great time to re-shop both your home and auto insurance policies. By bundling your auto and home insurance, you can save with a multi-line discount.
Use the free Jerry app to help make this happen! Jerry collects auto and home quotes from over 50 companies and brings the lowest available rates right to your phone.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.