How can I file a claim if a neighbor's dog bit my son?

Is there a way to get insurance information if someone at fault won't provide it? My neighbor's dog bit my son and the neighbors won't provide insurance information. We had to go to the hospital for the bite and we now have medical bills. We also have our own homeowners insurance.

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 19, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“Since most homeowners insurance policies only cover medical payments to others, you will need to file a claim with your neighbor’s home insurance company.
If your neighbor refuses to provide the information, you should report the incident to your insurance company.
They may be able to help get in contact with your neighbor’s insurance company. You will also need to contact your county or city to report the animal bite. They’ll likely take down the information and request that your neighbor show proof that the dog has had its rabies shots.
Depending on your state’s legislation, your neighbor may also be liable for your son’s injuries regardless of whether they provide their information or not.
If your neighbor is still unwilling to pay for the medical bills, you’ll need to contact an attorney that specializes in liability or animal bite cases.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies