How can I clean a car battery acid spill?
I replaced my car battery a few months ago. I meant to bring the old one to my local mechanic who recycles them, but it completely slipped my mind. The battery has now leaked acid all over my garage floor. How can I clean the car battery acid off my floor?
- Protect your hands and face by wearing safety goggles, a face mask, and gloves made of rubber, nitrile, or latex.
- Generously cover the battery and spill with baking soda to neutralize the acid and apply more until the fizzing and bubbling stop.
- Using garbage bags, double-bag the battery and tie or seal the bags immediately.
- Apply more baking soda to any leaked acid exposed after removing the battery and wait until the fizzing and bubbling stop.
- Clean up the spill using a water and baking soda solution and put the solution and cleaning materials in the same bag as the battery or in two new bags.