How can I change the name on my car insurance policy?
My husband and I just got married and we're in the process of updating everything with his last name. How do I change the name on my car insurance policy?
Congratulations on your marriage! First, you will need to change the name on your driver’s license. Then you can change the name on your car insurance policy by calling your insurer or going online.
To properly change your name, follow these steps:
- File a name change with the Social Security Administration.
- File a name change with the DMV. Along with your driver’s license, you may be required to show:
- Your new Social Security card
- Your marriage certificate
- Your certified birth certificate
- Financial documents
- Contact your insurance company over the phone or online to update your policy. You’ll be asked for some kind of verification, such as:
- Your policy number (found on your insurance card)
- Your date of birth
- Your online login information
If you’re looking for a new policy altogether, Jerry can compare quotes from over 50 of the nation’s leading insurance companies to get you the best rate.
Enjoy life as a newlywed!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What's the fastest or easiest way to get rid of negative equity on a car loan for a Nissan Rogue?
I have a significant amount of negative equity on my Nissan Rogue. How can I get rid of it—or at least break even?
Oct 20, 2021
How long does it take to set up car insurance?
My wife and I decided to buy a new car tomorrow. What is the quickest way to set up a new car insurance policy?
Oct 22, 2021
How long does it take for auto insurance to pay out after a claim?
I got T-boned in an intersection a little less than two weeks ago. The insurance adjuster said my car was a total loss. How long will it take to get my payout?
Oct 22, 2021