How can I cancel my car insurance online?
I’ve been with the same car insurance company for years, but I’m just not happy with my service anymore. I want to cancel and find a new provider. However, I don’t want to deal with long, drawn-out phone conversations. Can I just cancel my insurance online?
- Contact your insurance company. Let them know that you want to cancel. This is usually done over the phone, but you may be able to reach out with a letter or email.
- Ask about fees and refunds. Some companies will charge a fee to cancel your policy, so be sure to ask about this before finalizing your cancellation. If you’ve paid your premium in full, you may be entitled to a refund, so be sure to ask about this, as well.
- Submit necessary forms. Part of your company’s cancellation process may include a cancellation form, which can most likely be found on the company’s website.
- Cancel automatic payments. To ensure you don’t get hit with any extra charges after you cancel, be sure to remove automatic or scheduled payments from your account.
- Have your new insurance ready. Avoid gaps in your coverage by setting your new policy to begin the same day your current one ends.
- Confirm your cancellation. Although cancellations by phone are usually effective immediately, ask for written confirmation to prevent any fees or further complications.