Does standard renters insurance cover earthquake damage in quake-prone areas?

I'm moving to San Francisco, so I want to know if renters insurance will guard against earthquakes there.

Earthquakes, like most natural disasters, are normally not covered under a standard renters policy, even if you live in a quake-prone area. However, most insurance companies will offer earthquake coverage as an add-on to your policy. Check with your carrier to see if they offer it for purchase.
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Apr 13, 2021
Jackie Whalen has been in the insurance industry for over 7 years, working in sales, service and claims. She has won numerous awards as a top salesperson and customer service agent. She currently lives in New York with her husband. Her 24 year old son recently moved out on his own which has given her more time to travel, write and train her dog Maisy not to chase her cat, Whiskey.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free