Does my live-in boyfriend's home insurance cover my stolen property?

"I've been living with my boyfriend for the last year and a half. The house is in his name only. His garage was recently broken into and nearly everything was damaged or stolen. The thief swiped my bicycle and tennis equipment. Will his home insurance cover my belongings?


Answer provided by
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Apr 05, 2021
Unfortunately, your bicycle and tennis equipment are not covered under your boyfriend’s home insurance. Home insurance covers personal property that belongs to the homeowner and their immediate family. Since you are living there but unrelated, your belongings need to be covered under renters insurance. Even though you are not paying rent, you still need to purchase renters insurance in order to cover your property.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies