Does my home insurance cover natural disasters?

Will my homeowners insurance protect me in the event of a flood, tornado, or other events out of my control? I have an HO-3 policy. Does it cover natural disasters? I don't really understand the coverages within it.

HO-3 homeowners insurance includes open peril coverage. This means that nearly every type of loss is insured unless it’s specifically excluded.
In regard to natural disasters, your homeowners policy covers:
  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Wind
  • Hail
  • Volcanic eruption
If you need coverage for earthquakes and flooding, you’ll need special policies. For earthquakes, you can add an endorsement to your home insurance policy—if your provider offers it. If not, you will need to find a different insurer that sells it.
Flood insurance can be purchased through the government-sponsored National Flood Insurance Program or through designated private insurance providers.
To learn which providers offer earthquake and/or flood insurance, call or text Jerry at (650) 753-7799. Jerry’s friendly insurance agents can help answer your questions and get you set up with the coverage you need.
Emily Maracle
Answered on Sep 09, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.