Does my boyfriend need gap insurance on his leased Subaru?

My boyfriend is going to be leasing a new Subaru and isn't sure if gap insurance is going to be required. Is it added automatically or does he need to find a company that will offer it?

“When you are leasing a vehicle, most lenders do require gap insurance. If it is required, your boyfriend’s lender or dealership will most likely add it to his lease agreement.
If it’s optional, he will most likely be given the chance to add it through the lender or dealership. Alternatively, he can find his own coverage. Should he decide to find his own coverage, he should shop around with car insurance companies.
Typically, car insurance companies offer lower rates for gap insurance. He can request car insurance quotes online to find the right coverage for the best price.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 03, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free