Does my AAA car insurance cover me in Mexico?

I live in California and am going to be taking a trip to Mexico. Will my AAA insurance cover me?

“If you’re planning a trip to Mexico, you will need special car insurance. Since Mexico doesn’t recognize American liability insurance, you’ll have to get additional coverage.
AAA partners with a Mexican car insurance company to help provide their customers with coverage while traveling through Mexico as a tourist.
Policies from AAA range from one day to a year and offer anything from basic liability to extended coverage for cars, RVs, trailers. However, AAA only offers these policies to their clients in California, New Mexico, and Texas. Since you live in California, you shouldn’t have a problem.
You’ll also want to make sure you have your insurance declaration page and ID cards in your vehicle at all times in case you’re in an accident or you’re pulled over by law enforcement.
If you travel to Mexico frequently, you may also want to shop with car insurers that offer more comprehensive coverage in Mexico. Do your research to see what companies offer this type of coverage. Then, use the Jerry app to compare rates from over 50 insurers.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Aug 16, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.