Does home insurance or car insurance cover a tree falling on a car?

I have both home and car insurance. Which one would cover a tree falling on my car?

Emily Maracle · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“Since the tree fell on your car, you need to see if your
car insurance
will cover the damage first.
If you have
comprehensive insurance
on your vehicle, you should be able to submit a claim to your car insurance company. However, you would still have to pay the deductible.
If the damage is less than your deductible, you would have to pay for the entire cost out of pocket. If the damage is more than your deductible, your insurance would cover whatever is remaining after it.
Without comprehensive coverage on your policy, you could see if your home insurance would cover the damage to your vehicle. Since your vehicle is considered personal property, it may be covered under your home insurance policy.
Keep in mind that home insurance deductibles are often higher, and the coverage that may extend to your vehicle won’t be anywhere near your car insurance coverage. If you have home and car insurance through the same company, it may be worth calling to determine what your options may be.
Do you want to add comprehensive coverage to your auto insurance policy? Consider the
app. With the Jerry app, you can compare dozens of quotes from top insurers to find the best rates for your car insurance needs.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings