Does collision or uninsured motorist insurance cover a hit and run?

"Will my insurance cover a hit and run if I didn't see the other vehicle? I was hit in an intersection and the other driver sped off. I called the police, but only got a glimpse of the other vehicle. My airbag deployed and my car is probably totaled."

“Your car insurance should cover your accident. Both collision insurance and uninsured motorist coverage would provide coverage in this situation.
You’ll want to reach out to your car insurance company to find out what their policies are. Some insurance carriers won’t use uninsured motorist coverage unless they can identify that the person doesn’t have insurance.
Your collision insurance will cover the damage to your vehicle no matter what. You will have to pay your deductible, but your insurance may be able to reimburse you for it.
In either situation, your insurance will assess the damage. If the cost of repairing your vehicle is less than its value, they’ll repair it. If it’s more to repair than your vehicle, they’ll pay you actual cash value for it. This ideally will give you enough to purchase another vehicle.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies