Does a vehicle's comprehensive insurance cover you if you're borrowing it?

Will I be covered if I'm borrowing my mom's car? She has comprehensive insurance on it. I am driving to an area with lots of wildlife. I'm worried I could hit a deer and damage her car.

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 15, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“Since your mom is allowing you to borrow her car, you should be covered under her car insurance.
Most insurance follows the vehicle and not the driver. If your mom currently has comprehensive insurance on her vehicle, the damage would be covered if you were to hit a deer.
However, insurance companies do have exceptions.
If you currently live with your mom, you’ll want to make sure you aren’t excluded by her policy. You should also confirm that it doesn’t have any limitations on coverage with permissive use.
If you are excluded, you’ll need to be listed on your mom’s policy for coverage to apply when you drive the vehicle.
Otherwise, you may need to look into getting a non-owners car insurance policy to provide you with coverage when you borrow her car.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies