Do you need to be listed on both your parent's insurance policies if they're divorced?

I just got my driver's license and will be going onto my dad's insurance. My parents are divorced, do I also need to be on my mom's?

“If you are driving both of your parents’ vehicles and split time between their homes, you should be on each car insurance policy as an additional driver.
Additional drivers are typically on policies when they reside at the same home and have access to the vehicles on a policy.
If you only live with one parent and will primarily drive their vehicle, you will only need to be listed on that policy. Should you be visiting the other parent and have permission to borrow their vehicle, their insurance should cover you if you borrow the car sparingly.
However, your parents should confirm with their respective car insurance companies. Some insurance companies require that children are listed on the policy, even if they are away at school or a different address.
If you are required to be on both policies, your parents should look at their insurance rates. As new drivers typically cost more to insure, they may need to shop car insurance rates with an insurance broker like Jerry to ensure they’re getting the best rate.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Sep 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free