Do you need car insurance to cross the border to Mexico?

I'm planning on crossing into Mexico with my car. Are you required to have insurance to cross the border or can I wait to get it?

“If you are planning on driving your vehicle in Mexico, you need the proper car insurance before crossing. If you don’t, you risk getting into an accident without coverage.
At the border, customs and border agents may also ask to see:
  • A U.S. Passport (or Green Card)
  • A U.S. Driver’s License (or International Driving Permit)
  • Proof of car registration
  • A Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit (TVIP)
  • A Mexico Tourist Card/Entry Permit (FMM)
  • A Mexico tourist auto insurance policy
The latter three are usually only required if you plan to drive more than 12 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border, although you need to check with your insurance company to see if they cover you within the 12-mile distance of the border.
If you drive to Mexico regularly, consider researching car insurance policies from companies that provide such coverage. This will make the entire process easier. Once you’ve found companies willing to cover you through a Mexican insurance partner, use the Jerry app to compare rates from over 50 companies.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Aug 16, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.