Do you have to register a van you live in as a residence?

I'm planning on taking an extended road trip in California in a converted van. Do I need to register the vehicle as a residence?

“If you have a permanent domicile elsewhere in the state, you shouldn’t need to register your campervan as a place of residence for a trip.
That said, you do need to register the campervan in the state of California and purchase an accompanying car insurance policy. Most campervans are classified as class B motorhomes for car insurance purposes.
Consider using the free Jerry app to help you compare rates from the top companies in under a minute.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 28, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free