Do my dad and I have to pay for home, landlord, and renters insurance while I stay at his place?

I live in my dad's house rent-free while he lives elsewhere. Collectively, my dad and I are paying for homeowners, landlord, and renters insurance, which seems excessive. Do we need the landlord and renters insurance?

Great question! The answer is a resounding yes! Your dad needs landlord insurance because he owns the home but you live there full-time. If your dad were to move into the home full-time, he would just need home insurance and he could drop the landlord insurance.
Landlord insurance covers the home and personal liability, but it does not cover your personal belongings as a tenant, such as your clothes or computer. Even though you are a family member and you do not pay rent, you are still considered a tenant for insurance purposes. Therefore, you still need renters insurance to cover your personal property.
The good news is, your dad does not have to pay for both landlord insurance and home insurance at the same time; it just depends on whether he lives in the home full-time or not.
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Mar 18, 2021
Jackie Whalen has been in the insurance industry for over 7 years, working in sales, service and claims. She has won numerous awards as a top salesperson and customer service agent. She currently lives in New York with her husband. Her 24 year old son recently moved out on his own which has given her more time to travel, write and train her dog Maisy not to chase her cat, Whiskey.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free