Do insurance companies cover hit-and-run accidents?

"I have uninsured motorist coverage, would this cover hit and runs? Would I be covered in any vehicle or just my own?"

“In most cases, car insurance policies follow the vehicle and not the driver. This means that you would only have coverage for any vehicle listed on your policy.
Whether your uninsured motorist coverage will cover a hit and run depends on your policy. Typically an insurance company needs to verify that a driver is actually uninsured or underinsured for the coverage to apply.
Most hit and runs are covered by either comprehensive insurance or collision insurance. These protect your vehicle from damage if you’re at fault or fault can’t be determined.
If you don’t have full coverage on your vehicle, you should consider filing a police report. They may be able to track down the driver. If they can, either your insurance or the other driver’s insurance may cover the damage.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies