"Do I still have to file for an SR22 after moving from Texas to Minnesota? "

In Texas, I was required to keep an SR22 active for five years. Now that I am two years in, I am in the process of moving to Minnesota. Will I still need to have my SR22 filed?

“If an SR22 filing, or a “”certificate of financial responsibility,”” is required for your current state, it is in your best interest to keep filing the form even if you move to another state.
Before you move, check with the TXDMV to see how to go about this. Since Minnesota doesn’t have SR22 requirements, you will probably need to complete and mail a paper form to the TXDMV. This will differ from how it is usually handled, which is electronically.
You will also want to check with your current carrier and make sure they can file a cross-state SR22. Not all carriers can. If yours cannot, it is time to shop for new car insurance.
Reach out to a large carrier like GEICO or Progressive for assistance since they have policy coverage in both states.
Not following through on the SR22 requirements could mean that your Texas license gets suspended, which can make it very challenging to get an active license in another state. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free