Do I owe money for damages if I was at fault in an accident while driving a U-Haul truck?

I was at fault in an accident when I was driving a U-Haul truck. I did take out their Safemove insurance, but not Safemove Plus. I damaged another car and flipped the truck on its side (no injuries to me or the other party). What damages do I have to pay for?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 23, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“Since you purchased U-Haul’s Safemove insurance, it will cover all accidental damages to the truck and damages to your belongings inside the truck (up to a certain limit). However, since Safemove doesn’t offer liability coverage, you’re on the hook for the damage to the other car.
If you have car insurance for a personal vehicle, it’s unlikely that your policy will extend coverage to the truck, as it’s probably above the weight limit stated on your policy.
In the future, you may want to consider buying U-Haul’s Safemove Plus insurance. It offers an additional $1 million in supplemental liability insurance that covers property damage, injuries, and legal action involving third parties.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies