Do I need uninsured motorist property damage coverage and collision coverage on my vehicle in Nebraska?

I'm finding conflicting information. Some carriers seem to allow me to have both uninsured motorist property damage and collision on a policy, and others don't. Some people have also recommended having both.

“In Nebraska, the minimum car insurance requirements include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, specifically uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury. But you are not required by law to carry uninsured motorist property damage coverage.
However, it is beneficial to carry it. Should you be in an accident with an at-fault, uninsured driver, your insurance would cover the damage done to your vehicle up to your specified limit.
With collision coverage, any damage caused by a collision would be covered, even if you are at fault.
Some carriers don’t allow you to have both coverages on a policy, as they cover similar events. You can also be required to have uninsured motorist property damage on your policy if you don’t have collision coverage.
If your carrier does allow you to have both coverages and you can afford both, it can’t hurt to buy the extra coverage.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.