Do I need to switch my car insurance after moving to New Mexico?

"I recently moved from Arizona to New Mexico. I looked into rates when I moved and they were double what I was paying in Arizona. I decided to keep my insurance in Arizona to avoid the increase.

Am I required to switch my car insurance to New Mexico? I don't have any expenses that would imply I live here beyond a renters insurance policy. "

“Whenever you move, you are required to update your car insurance company on where the vehicle will be garaged. Since you are no longer living in Arizona, your car insurance should reflect that.
One reason why your insurance rates could have increased is that New Mexico’s state minimum car insurance requirements are higher than Arizona’s.
If you get into an accident in New Mexico, your insurance company will also want to know why you were out of state. If they find out that you are no longer living in Arizona, they could deny your claim. They may also consider it insurance fraud, as you were knowingly trying to avoid higher rates.
If you can’t afford insurance with your current carrier in New Mexico, look into other options with both regional and major carriers. They may be able to provide you with more affordable coverage.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 17, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free