Do I need to have car insurance on my vehicle that's going to be listed as non-operational?

I live in Texas and I am going out of the country for a year. I will be registering my car with the DMV as non-operational, but will still be paying my car payment. Since my car is financed, do I need to also maintain car insurance?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 21, 2021
“Once you register your vehicle as non-operational with the DMV, you should be able to suspend liability insurance on it.
Although you won’t be driving your vehicle, most lenders require that financed vehicles carry comprehensive coverage and collision coverage. Before you leave, you should reach out to your lender directly to confirm their requirements.
You can also reach out to your current insurance carrier to see if they have any policies or provisions regarding non-operational vehicles. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies