Do I need to get California auto insurance before registering my car in California, or do I need to register my car first?

"Will my insurance ask me for my registration, or will the DMV ask for my insurance? I'm confused."

“It’s probably easiest to let your car insurance company know first and see if they can switch the policy to a new state.
This is because when you register a car in California, you’ll need to provide proof of insurance. You do have a grace period of 30 days after you register your car to provide the necessary documentation, but forgetting to do this and being caught without proof of insurance while driving could be costly, and your registration could be suspended as a result.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 26, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free