Do I need to change my insurance from New Mexico to Florida if I'm active military stationed at a new base?

I got an order that I'd be stationed in Florida. I currently reside in New Mexico, and I want to move back after my time is up in Florida. I want to bring my car with me, but my insurance agent said I'd have to switch the insurance to Florida. Is there any way around this?

“For short-term moves, active-duty military members are generally not required to make changes to their car insurance. But for a long-term move that involves a permanent change of station (PCS), you’ll have to switch your car insurance to a Florida policy.
Most insurance companies will provide a certain time frame for changing your insurance if you’re active-duty military. Get in touch with your agent for more information on the switching process.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 23, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies