Do I need special insurance if I babysit children in my home?

If I watch a few children, do I need an extra type of insurance? I currently rent and have renter's insurance.

“If you plan on regularly babysitting, it’s best to add a home daycare endorsement to your renters insurance.
While residents of your home who are under 21 are typically covered under your policy, children you babysit wouldn’t be.
The home day care endorsement will add a combined limit for liability and medical payments to your policy. This ensures the children are protected from any injuries or accidents that may occur while they are in your care.
You’ll also want to confirm that your state doesn’t have any additional regulations regarding childcare. Depending on the amount of children you plan on caring for, you may need a license through the state. This would also most likely change the amount and type of insurance you would need.
If you’re unsure, you can reach out to your renter’s insurance company. They’ll be able to provide you with more information about the insurance you require.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 19, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies