Do I need gap insurance for my new 2021 Mercedes GLC300?

The purchase price was $49,000 and my loan is for $33,000. I declined gap insurance through the dealership, but do I need it? What would happen if the vehicle was totaled?

“Since your loan is far below the cost of your new vehicle, you aren’t likely to need gap insurance, which covers the difference if you owe more on your loan than your vehicle is worth.
If your vehicle is deemed a total loss, your insurance company will determine the actual cash value of your vehicle, which is the original price minus depreciation. This is what you’d receive in a payout, and it should cover the balance of your loan.
If you’re unsure, you can calculate the depreciation on your vehicle in a year and what your loan balance will be in a year. If your math indicates that your loan balance may eventually exceed the car’s actual cash value, you can buy gap insurance then.
Most insurance carriers do offer some form of gap insurance, so you may be able to add it to your current policy. If you decide you no longer need it, you can easily remove it.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 07, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free