Do I need car insurance for an Audi Q5 that's stored in a garage?

I've heard different things about needing car insurance for a stored vehicle. Do I actually need it if I'm not driving it? If I do need insurance, I'd like to find the cheapest option possible.

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 21, 2021
“Any vehicle that is registered as operational is required to carry your state’s minimum coverage car insurance.
If it is registered as operational, you can opt for the lowest coverages possible. This typically comprises liability car insurance only. You may also opt to carry comprehensive insurance, which will protect your stored vehicle from covered perils like fire, theft, or vandalism.
Should you not drive the vehicle at all, you can consider registering it as non-operational with the DMV. This would remove the requirement for car insurance as your Audi couldn’t be legally operated on the road.
To find cheap car insurance, you’ll want to reach out to various carriers. They will be able to tell you what coverage is required for a stored vehicle, as well as the price they offer for that coverage.
If you’re hesitant to switch plans or insurance providers because you’re worried about the work involved, don’t be. Jerry does all the paperwork for you. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies