Do I need business insurance for my equipment?

"I work from home and I have a laptop, some monitors, and a printer that I can't afford to lose. I thought my renters insurance would cover this equipment, but my friend says I need to get separate business insurance. Is my friend right?


Answer provided by
Alexah Grinnell
Answered on Apr 08, 2021
“If your employer owns your work equipment, it’s their responsibility to repair or replace these items for you. If you are self-employed or if you purchased the work equipment yourself, you will want to make sure that you have the necessary extra protection since your coverage limit may be too low. With most renters insurance policies, you can add endorsements to expand coverage for work equipment.
If this is for a business that you own, you can also look into getting business insurance. At a minimum, you would want to consider getting property and liability coverages. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies