Do I need boat insurance if I have homeowner's insurance?

I have a homeowner's policy through State Farm. Do I need to purchase a different one for my sailboat?

“If you’d like to insure your sailboat, you should get a separate policy! Most home insurance policies offer minimal coverage for boats, typically covered under personal property or coverage C of your policy. This will reimburse you a set amount if anything happens to your sailboat.
Unless you have a watercraft liability endorsement, your homeowner’s policy will likely not include liability insurance. Adding a separate policy will provide you with better coverage to protect your boat.
Check with your State Farm agent to understand the limits of your policy and to add boat insurance. You’ll likely receive a discount if you bundle your home and boat insurance policies together.
Once you get a price from State Farm, shop around. Every insurance company is different, so you may be able to find a better rate elsewhere.
If you want help shopping for rates, Jerry can provide you with competitive quotes in under a minute. Swapping is just as effortless. Jerry takes care of all the paperwork and phone calls and even helps cancel your old policy on your behalf. And the best part–Jerry does all of this for free.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Sep 15, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store