Do I need an international driving permit in the UK?

My husband’s cousin is getting married in London this summer, and we’re hoping to take a road trip up to Scotland after the big day. Will we be able to drive, or do we need to apply for an International Driving Permit?

Cassandra Hamilton · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
First of all, congratulations to your husband’s cousin on the nuptials! Second, you do not need an international driving permit (IDP) in the UK. An IDP is merely a translation of your existing license, and since English is the primary language in the UK, you won’t need a translated copy.
That being said, officials in the UK aren’t used to navigating an American license. They will most likely have seen an IDP before, though—so it may be worth it to apply for one before you travel to make
renting a car
easier. To apply for an IDP, you will need to:
  • Apply with an
    -compliant organization
  • Be 18 or older
  • Apply within the US before traveling abroad
  • Be fully licensed—no temporary licenses or learner’s permits
  • Pay a fee of $20
  • Provide two photographs that follow the
    same standards as a US passport
We hope you enjoy your
road trip
across the UK! Maybe you’ll get bitten by the road trip bug and want to take a trip across the US next—better make sure you have great
car insurance
before you head out! The easiest way to upgrade your policy while downgrading the price is by using
— with our car insurance super app, you’ll be browsing quotes in less than 45 seconds that could all save you an average of $887 per year!
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings