Do I need an international driving permit in Croatia?

My wife and I are planning a two-week vacation in Croatia. We have California driver’s licenses and want to rent a car during our visit. Do we need to get an international driving permit for Croatia? Or can we use our California licenses?

Andrea Barrett · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Croatia is a beautiful country—have an amazing time on your trip! As U.S. citizens, you will need an international driving permit in Croatia to legally drive.
However, international driving permits (IDPs) are not required in Croatia for licenses originating from Austria, Bosnia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Macedonia, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia.
To apply for an IDP, here’s what you need to do:
  • Visit the AAA or AATA website
  • Download and complete the IDP application
  • Get two original passport photos
  • Have a valid U.S. driver’s license
  • Remit payment for the $20 permit fee
One of the best ways to explore the epic wonders of Croatia is to hit the highways. But before you secure a rental car, you’ll also want to make sure you have the right car insurance.
’s team of insurance experts can help steer you in the right direction. Just download the app for free to text our friendly agents with questions. That way, you can focus on planning your itinerary rather than finding insurance!
MORE: How to get a car rental discount code
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings