Do I need an international driving licence for Spain?

My family is going on vacation to Spain this summer. I’m really excited and I think I might rent a car so I can go exploring on my own. Will I be able to drive, though? Will my US license work in Spain, or do I need an international license?

Cassandra Hamilton · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Spain is a beautiful and historic country with amazing food—it’s exciting you get to vacation there! You will need an international driving license for Spain. Before driving in a foreign country, you need to know
what the requirements are
Spain requires an International Driving Permit (IDP) because its primary language is Spanish. Since you’re from the US, your license is in English—an IDP translates your qualifications into the local language. To get an IDP, follow these steps:
  • Make sure your application is with an organization that is
  • You need to be 18 or older to hold an IDP
  • You must apply within the US before you go overseas
  • You need a valid, permanent license in the US—learner’s permits do not qualify
  • You can expect to pay $20 for the licensing fee
  • You’ll need two photographs that follow the
    same standards as a US passport
Once your IDP is in hand, you’re ready to go for a drive in Spain! Once you get back home, consider looking into the
app for
ways to save
on your car insurance. Jerry can save you an average of $887 per year on your car insurance in less than two minutes!
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings