Do I need a single-family or multi-family policy for my property?

Answered by Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert Shannon on February 18, 2021

I'm looking to buy a house with an attached efficiency unit. I'll probably rent out the efficiency, but not for another year or so. When I'm shopping for home insurance quotes, do I say that my property is single family or multi-family?

expert avatar


Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert

That is so exciting! The type of policy you will need is actually dependent on whether or not you will be living there. Since your home will be owner-occupied, a standard homeowners policy will work for you. If you did not live in the home and rented out both spaces, you would need a landlord policy.

When you make upgrades to the home, the rental space included, make sure to tell your insurance agent so that your policy has enough coverage. You will want to make sure that when your tenant moves in, they get their own policy for their personal property. Their property and liability is not covered by your policy.

Home Insurance

Have an insurance question?

Our insurance agents are ready to help you, for free.

Ask your question, it’s 100% free
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find savings (100% Free)
stars4.6/5 Rating on App Store