"Do I need a non owners policy if I am a listed driver on my fiancee's policy?" "

I just sold my car and moved in with my fiancee last week. She added me to her insurance, but I am not a "named insured" since we aren't married yet. Do I need to get a non owners policy to be covered to drive her car?

“Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!
No, you do not need to get a non owners car insurance policy for additional coverage. Any driver listed on your fiancee’s car insurance policy is a covered driver.
Your fiancee is the named insured since she is the owner of the policy. This means she maintains control and is the only one who can cancel the policy. But you are both fully covered drivers.
Once you get married, the policy will be updated and you will both be named insureds. Plus, you might see a decrease in your premium since most carriers offer a lower rate to married drivers. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 30, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store