Do I need a non owners car insurance policy if I'm listed as a driver on a liability policy of my dad's car?

I'm listed as a driver on my dad's car insurance policy, and I'm the only person who uses the car. However, I wanted to remove the burden of the insurance policy by getting my own non owners car insurance policy. Can I do this?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on May 04, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“No, you can’t have only a non owners car insurance policy on a vehicle if it’s available for regular use.
You’ll need to keep at least state-minimum liability coverage on the car, which you should already have as a driver on your father’s policy.
If it’s a financial burden for him to maintain the policy (or just a nuisance), you can find out if you qualify for any discounts with you and your dad’s current carrier. Alternatively, you two can shop around for quotes and switch over to a cheaper policy.
If you want to save money on car insurance, the Jerry app is a good place to start. A licensed broker, Jerry does all the hard work of finding the cheapest quotes from the top name-brand insurance companies and buying new car insurance. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies