Do I need a license plate to drive a car in Mexico?

I want to make a trip in my new car. I have insurance and the temporary documents, but haven't received my physical plates. Can I still go?

Emily Maracle · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“Taking a trip to Mexico is always exciting. Have fun!
That said, you can take a trip to Mexico in a new car without plates, if you have the proper documentation. The required documents needed at the border are:
  • A passport
  • Valid vehicle registration
  • Temporary permit if you are driving outside the border zones
  • Valid Mexican liability insurance
If you’re able to show proof of your valid vehicle registration along with
Mexican liability insurance
, you shouldn’t have any issues entering or exiting Mexico. You’ll also want to be sure you have
proof of insurance
for your U.S. policy when you cross back into the United States.
If you are wary about crossing the border or being pulled over by the Mexican police, you might want to wait until you receive your permanent plates in the mail. In the meantime, take a look at your insurance provider to see if they work with a Mexican affiliate. If they don’t, do some research on companies that do. Then, download the
app to compare rates in just minutes and get the best value for your money.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings