Do I need a commercial policy if I'm using my Hyundai Sonata for ridesharing services?

"I use my Sonata for Turo and recently found out that my personal insurance is canceling my policy because of it.

Are there any carriers that will allow me to use my vehicle for Turo or other ridesharing services? If I opt for the ridesharing companies' insurance, is that enough coverage?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 14, 2021
“Most auto insurance companies consider any type of ridesharing to be commercial or business use. This means your personal coverage would not apply if you are using your vehicle for ridesharing.
However, with the increase in ridesharing services, there are more rideshare insurance providers available. Companies like Progressive and Esurance offer ridesharing coverage without requiring a business or commercial policy.
In most cases, you will be required to opt in to the ridesharing company’s insurance coverage. Most companies require that you carry a personal policy as well. If you don’t, you’ll be required to provide proof that you have a commercial policy or other form of sufficient coverage.
If you’re unable to find a carrier that offers ridesharing coverage, you will need to find a commercial policy that fits your needs. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies