Do I have to pay my deductible if my car is broken into?

"Do I need to pay it even if the damage doesn't cost that much to fix? My passenger window was broken when someone tried to break into my car. I have a $750 deductible."

“If your vehicle is damaged during a break in or attempted theft, your comprehensive insurance will typically cover the damages. However, you are still required to pay your deductible before your insurance will cover anything.
This means if the cost to repair your window is more than $750, you’d pay your deductible and the insurance would cover the rest. If it costs less than $750, you would pay the repair cost as you wouldn’t be submitting a claim.
Even if the repair cost is close to your deductible, you always have the option of choosing to pay out of pocket instead of submitting an insurance claim.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free