Do I have to pay for excess damage to the other vehicle if my insurance limits don't cover it?

I recently rear-ended a woman in California. I have minimum liability coverage, which means my policy only covers $5,000 in property damage in California. Am I on the hook for the rest if her repair estimate is more than $5,000?

“If you have the minimum liability insurance, then yes, your policy will only pay $5,000 toward the damage to the woman’s vehicle.
Your insurance company will try to settle for this amount, but the other driver may sue you for the extra money. While your insurance company may appoint you a lawyer, you’re probably not going to win the case—the lawyer will just limit the amount you’ll owe.
In the future, don’t go with only the state minimum. Instead, opt for more coverage so you won’t cause yourself financial stress for being underinsured.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 22, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free