Do I file a claim with my old insurer for damage that happened before my new policy began?

I recently switched home insurance companies. There was a hailstorm that caused some damage to my roof just before my new policy came into effect. Does this mean I need to make a claim with my old insurance company?

That’s correct. You would claim that loss with the company that was covering you at the time that the loss occurred.
Typically, insurance companies do not like to start a new policy while there is an open claim because there is damage to the home. It would be a good idea to contact your new insurance company and let them know that there was a loss. When you start a new insurance policy, they will typically send an inspector to the property to take a look at the home. If they see that there is damage, they could cancel the new policy.
Savannah Grabek
Answered on Apr 02, 2021
Savannah Grabek is an expert in Personal Lines insurance. She has 5 years experience in the insurance industry. Savannah began her carrier working with just property insurance and is now tenured in all personal line including home, auto, motorcycle, boat and umbrella. She previously worked for GEICO and has now been working with Jerry insurance for the past year. Savannah lives in New York with her son, fiancé, and puppy Bear. In her free time she enjoys spending quality time with her family and hiking with her dog.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free