Do car insurance carriers allow you to change the named insured on your policy?

My mom is giving me her car. She'll be transferring the title to me and said I can just keep her insurance. Am I able to change myself as the named insured since I'm the new owner?

“Since you’re the new registered owner of the car, you need to get your own car insurance policy. In a vast majority of cases, car insurance carriers require the named insured to be the registered owner of the vehicle.
Since your mom’s current policy on the vehicle is rated based on her driving record and other factors, you wouldn’t be able to take over the policy or change yourself to the named insured.
To get insurance in your name for the vehicle, hop on Jerry, which acts as your insurance broker and allows you to compare rates from dozens of car insurance companies. By shopping around, you’ll ensure you’re getting the best rate for insurance based on the coverage you need.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free