Can you walk me through what happens if I'm hit by an uninsured driver in New York?

I am recently moved to New York. My insurance company told me that if my car is damaged by an uninsured driver, I have to have collision coverage to fix my car and pay a deductible. Is this right?

“That is correct. Your collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle caused by a collision or upset, regardless of who is at fault for the accident.
If the other driver is uninsured, you are unable to file a claim through their insurance, so you would file the claim through your own.
If the other driver is at fault for the accident, they are still liable for your damages. You could attempt to pursue them directly for the damages in court instead of filing a claim through your insurance, but there is no guarantee that they will have the ability to pay.
If you file through your own insurance, the company will have the right to recover money from the other party, and they will often attempt to recover your deductible for you in the process.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free