Can you obtain car insurance for a vehicle that doesn't belong to you?

I'm currently borrowing a car from a family member who's out of the country for a few months. Yesterday, I took a look at the insurance card and realized coverage had lapsed. I can't get in contact with my family member. Can I get car insurance in their name so I'm not driving illegally?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 16, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“First off, stop driving the car immediately. Driving without any car insurance is illegal in most states, and it can cause serious financial and legal issues if you get in an accident.
Unfortunately, in your case, you can’t purchase insurance for a vehicle that’s not registered in your name unless you have power of attorney. Therefore, your best bet is to find an affordable vehicle for yourself or use public transit until you can get a hold of your family member.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies