Can you drive in the US with a license from New Zealand?

I will be visiting my uncle in the US for several weeks. If I need to borrow his car, can I drive it legally?

“Typically, if your driver’s license is in English, you can legally drive for up to three months in the US with a foreign license.
You might want to looking into obtaining an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) from your home country, if:
  • the license isn’t in English.
  • you’ll need to rent a car during your stay.
  • you plan on staying (and driving) longer than three months.
With an IDP, you’ll also be able to purchase temporary car insurance, offering extra protection should anything happen.
Shopping for insurance can mean navigating a lot of legal jargon, but Jerry is here to help. Jerry does all the hard work of comparison shopping and helping with the signup paperwork so you can get on the road hassle free.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 11, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.