Can you ceramic coat your car yourself?
I want my car to have a ceramic coating but it is too expensive for me right now. Is it possible to ceramic coat your car yourself instead?
Answer provided by
Yes! A DIY ceramic coating kit can run anywhere from $10 to over $400. A professional job can be between $1,500 and $5000. There are several steps to get set up, but the process of coating the car will be pretty straightforward.
First, do extensive research on which ceramic coating kit you should purchase. You will already be saving money by doing the work yourself, so spend a little more money here and get a quality coating kit.
Here is a list of supplies you will need:
- 9H ceramic coating kit
- Protective masks, goggles, and gloves
- Wax and silicone-free car wash
- Handheld rotary polisher, polishing pads, and cutting compound
- Thin and smooth micro-fiber cloth
- A few helpful friends
There is some prep work involved:
- Pick a temperate day and work while the car is cool. The best temperature for coating is 77 ℉.
- Find a dust-free and well-ventilated work area.
- Do not apply the coating on a recently painted vehicle.
- Plan where you will start coating and complete each section before moving on to the next one.
Then, follow these steps:
- Put on the protective work gear.
- Clean the car thoroughly with the wax and silicone-free car wash**. Any dirt or silicone coating will stop the coating from bonding.
- Tape off plastic vehicle parts that will not need coating.
- Remove any paint chips and scratches with the rotary polisher and cutting compound.
- Soak the micro-fiber with the ceramic coating and apply a thin, even layer to the car. Aways move in one direction, apply it evenly, and move fast!
- Polish the coated surface within two minutes of the application using a fresh piece of smooth microfiber. Here is where your friend will come in handy; you can not wait more than two minutes to polish the coating or else the curing will not be successful.
Park your car in the sun after two hours of curing time to speed up the process. The car will be dry to the touch, but it takes about 10 days to cure fully. Do not rewash the vehicle before then.
Another way to take care of your car is by getting the best car insurance at the lowest price. Downloading the Jerry app can help! Getting started takes just 45 seconds, and Jerry customers save on average $800+ per year on car insurance!
MORE: How to strip car paint
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What’s the best route to the Outer Banks from New York?
I recently moved to New York for college, but my family wants me to join them for a vacation in the Outer Banks. I’m not sure how to get there or how long it will take me. Is there a good route for me to take between these two cities?
May 09, 2022
What’s the best route from Dallas to Amarillo?
I’m moving from Dallas to Amarillo, Texas. Since I’ll have a lot of stuff with me, I’m hoping to make the drive in one day. Is this possible? What route should I take?
May 09, 2022
What’s the best route to drive from Dallas to San Francisco?
I’m driving with a girlfriend to attend my best friend’s baby shower and we’re staying in the area for the week to tour around. What’s the best way to get from Dallas to San Francisco?
May 09, 2022