Can you add someone with their own vehicle to your policy?

My husband's brother is going to be moving in with us. My husband wants to add him and his car to our policy. Is this possible? Does he need to get his own insurance?

“Although your brother-in-law will be living with you, he will most likely need to get his own car insurance policy.
Since the vehicle is in his name, car insurance companies may believe you don’t have an insurable interest. As insurance is risk-based, insurance companies want to know that you have a reason to insure a vehicle, like ownership.
That said, insurance is tricky! Some companies may allow you to insure someone else’s car, as long as the driver is also on the policy.
If your insurance company doesn’t allow you to insure his vehicle, you will likely still have to list each other as drivers or household members on your policies. Even with separate policies, insurance companies want to know who has access to your vehicle.
Should you decide you’d like to be on a policy together, you can shop around. You may be able to find a company that will allow you to insure your brother-in-law’s vehicle as well.
If you want to switch insurance companies, go to Jerry. Jerry gathers quotes and helps you switch policies without any of the hassles!”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Sep 15, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free