Can you add a temporary driver to a Safeco policy?

"I'm planning on borrowing my parent's car for a few days and want to know if I can be added as a temporary driver on their policy. I don't have car insurance so I want to make sure I'm covered if there's an accident."

“Anyone who borrows your parents’ vehicle with permission is normally covered under their policy. Car insurance often follows the vehicle and not the driver. In most cases, you’d be protected if there was an accident.
If you still live with your parents, you should find out whether you are listed on their policy. Most insurance carriers require that anyone who is licensed and in the same household be listed or excluded on a policy.
If you’re listed on the policy, you will have coverage as a driver. If you are excluded, their insurance would not cover you, even if you were borrowing the vehicle.
In that case, you may need to get a non-owners car insurance for coverage or ask your parents to list you on the policy. Otherwise, you may not have protection in an accident.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 26, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free