Can my underinsured motorist coverage bail me out after an expensive accident?

I was rear-ended by an underinsured driver who's policy max is $50,000. Their insurance is refusing to pay any more. My car was totaled and I had really high medical bills. I do have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for $50,000. Would this now apply or do I need a lawyer?

“Since you were hit by an underinsured driver, your underinsured motorist coverage will apply. This means your insurance will pay for any remaining costs up to your policy limit of $50,000.
You’ll want to work directly with your insurance company. Since you have the coverage, you’ll need to determine what remaining costs you have from the accident.
If you are having difficulty working with your insurance, or if you’re unsure of how to determine your remaining costs, you could consult an attorney who specializes in accidents and claims. They would be able to look at your case and determine how to move forward.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free