Can my live-in partner’s renters insurance cover my belongings?

"I'm moving in with my partner soon. He told me to get my own renters insurance for my property, but I was thinking, can't he just take out a larger renters policy to cover my things as well? And then we could split the bill. Or would this be considered fraud?


“There are some insurance companies that will allow customers to name another person on their renters policy so that this person’s belongings will also be covered. But in most cases, you may be required to obtain your own policy since you are not your partner’s spouse or immediate family member. It all depends on the underwriting guidelines of your partner’s insurance company. “
Alexah Grinnell
Answered on Apr 07, 2021
Alexah Grinnell has been working in the insurance industry for 5 years with a primary focus of coverage consulting in the sales department. She has been working for Jerry Insurance since July of 2019 and has also has experience working for AAA and State Farm. She currently lives in Rochester, NY with her husband and 3 kids

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free